Happy Spring, Happy Earth Day, Happy Easter.
Now I know what you are about to see is certainly not alkalizing, however as I have mentioned in previous posts, it is great to know we can have the occasional treat and keep it as clean as possible without loosing the enjoyment that certain foods give us. Many people have asked me to come up with cleaner recipes for special occasions so I set to work this morning and came up with a traditional English Easter recipe.
Please use this as a TRANSITIONAL recipe, eat responsibly – that means one or two not the whole plate!! Then go and have a nice Goddess of Greens!
1/2 cup Coconut Nectar Blossom granules (this is less acidic than Agave syrup)
1/4 cup warm almond or hempseed milk
1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda (Bobs Red Mills is my preference)
¼ cup lemon juice
2 tbsp ground chia seeds
3 tbsp warm water
4 cups sprouted spelt flour (I love Shilo Farms brand)
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp Celtic salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp Orange Oil
zest of 1 large lemon
1/2 cup sour cherries (optional)
2 tbl olive oil mixed with ½ tsp vanilla essence for brushing
How to Make
Preheat oven to 400F
1. Mix coconut nectar blossom granules and almond milk, together in a large bowl. Add the Bicarb of Soda and ¼ cup fresh lemon juice. Mix well and set aside.
2. In a separate small bowl, mix Chia seeds and water together. Pour this mixture into the almond milk mixture and using an electric whisk, mix well for about 1 minute.
3. Pour in the 4 cups of flour, spices, oil and zests and form into a thick dough, adding more liquid or flour as needed. (When using the Shiloh Farms flour it can absorb a lot of liquid so you may need more than the ingredients list says but it is not always the case. It is easily remedied though. The dough should be firm but still sticky.
4. Add the sour cherries folding into the dough.
5. Place parchment paper on a large baking tray. Using a spoon divide the dough into 12 equal balls. Remember the dough is sticky so we are not looking for perfect store-bought buns here!!!
6. Mix the Olive oil and vanilla flavouring in a small ramekin and with a pastry brush, brush onto the buns.
7. Cut a shallow cross into the top of each bun with a sharp knife. Bake for 15 mins, until a golden brown.
These buns are wonderful fresh out of the oven but are equally delicious at any time.
Hope you enjoy this indulgence. Enjoy!
It is an Outstanding Day!
Fiona, The Cleansing Diva!
Join me The Cleansing Diva on Facebook.
This website and its contents are not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any disease, nor replace the need or services of a trained healthcare practitioner. PurelyHealthyMe or Fiona Johnston assumes no responsibility for those who decide to treat themselves rather than seek the assistance of a healthcare professional. Please ensure that you obtain the advice of your medical practitioner before embarking on any new health program.